Monday, November 14, 2005

Aaron's Positions

Since I'm also a Radical Libertarian, many of my non-negotiable positions are the same as Franc's. To help prevent redundancy, I will only include points in which I differ from him, or which were previously unstated. As a result of this, my list is much smaller:

* Everyone has a right to freely pursue their values, but nobody has a right to their values. For example, while you have a right to freely pursue housing, you do not have a right to housing.

* Parenting, as a value, can be freely pursued, but must be earned. This is not unlike driving a car. You need to prove yourself capable of driving a car, otherwise you could hurt someone. In the same vein, you need to prove yourself capable of raising a child, otherwise you could hurt the child.

* Censorship of any kind is unjustifiable, even censorship against religion or hate speech. A free marketplace of ideas is essential, for all ideas must be able to stand up on their own merits. In a free marketplace of ideas, if an idea has no merits, it will fail of its own accord, making censorship superfluous. In a free marketplace of ideas, the bad ideas fail fairly. But with censorship, bad (and sometimes good) ideas fail unfairly.

1 comment:

Francois Tremblay said...

I agree with these points also. By the way, I did add a point about parenting later on. You probably didn't see it.